Memoirs of a Bumbling Scholar - Gills Journal

Samwych

▅▄▃▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▂▃▄▅

Entry 01​

I have not composed a personal journal since my college days, so you can imagine how strange and nostalgic it must be to try and formulate a new introduction. I don't think I need one, but it is nice to try and be formal nonetheless.

I've been working at the Emerald Exploration Guild as of late, a guild focused around transportation and exploring. The more interesting part is that I have been hired to work with cataloguing and researching the beasts that the guild houses. That's right! I'm some sort of a Zoologist now. They never referred to me as that, though I can't help but affiliate all my work thus far with the title. I've been spending a lot of time with the enclosures of the creatures the guild houses, and I've found out a few things. Namely, that the Imps all have two common themes: They all resemble fungi in some respect, and all are correlated in some way.

Besides taking a name and having the same biology- they all seem to take off of a respective 'Sin' that defines the personality and mannerisms of the imps themselves. Without going into too much detail, I can say confidently (from firsthand experience) that the Laid-back Imp is Sloth, while the Big-Eyed is closer to Gluttony. From other encyclopedia entries alone I can determine that the other Imps are correlated to other sins. To which extent, I will have to confirm with my own field research when we acquire the imps or encounter them in the wild. I hope that it will be soon!

Last edited:

Samwych

▅▄▃▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▂▃▄▅

Entry 02
Apologies for the lack of updates, dear journal. In truth, the only interesting part of my time in Ardelle has occurred mere hours ago. Where to begin..?

I was asked to 'tag along' to an escapade to the dream realm, via a tear above the city of Ardelle that lead to some sort of infinite void in a plane with rules that only a dream follows. To which, are very Topsy-turvy. Anything goes in that sort of place, evident by the fact that there was a phonograph playing music I'd never heard of before by an artist by the name of 'Frank Sinatra', and the surplus of doors that opened to places that were otherworldly (One opened to a tundra of snow that spilled into the realm, another to a world similar to that of illustrations. Fascinating stuff). I wasn't sure why I was asked to come along. Maybe it was some strange hazing ritual for the locals? Who knows. What I do know is that we attracted the attention of an entity that resides within the realm itself- And possibly other realms outside of it.

They called themselves Edris, and spoke in a manner I was unfamiliar with. It seemed informal, direct.. Referring to things that went over my head completely. It was all a bit overwhelming, but I did manage to have a short conversation with them that resulted in giving me a window to Osmil. A glass pane that showed me my family, the church, and other places inside it. I don't know if this entity knows how much it truly meant to me to receive something like that. And although it's not the same as being back home... It's nice to know that my family is okay, and the synod is still functioning. I'm glad everything worked out, and my efforts weren't in vain.

Oh yes- I also drank some mysterious liquid known as 'Dream Milk'. It was not good! It allowed me to float, thankfully not far. Due to Oliver's quick thinking with his portals, I was able not to drift off into oblivion and lose my mind. I'll have to thank him somehow for that. I also got to meet his partner, Cordelia. She seems very nice, if not blunt. I can see why Oliver likes her so much. On this adventure was also a woman named Veil, who was doing far too many drugs at once and dancing to the 'Frank Sinatra' records that were playing inside the realm. I'd like to learn more about her in the future.

I've written so much by this point that my wrist has begun to cramp. I am hoping to resume my worship and work in Riara's name while I am here- I've signed on to work at the clinic, now. Hopefully that is a good step in the right direction! Truthfully, though, I am just lucky to still be alive after all that's happened.

Last edited: